Flight Sergeant John Homewood

Home Forums 630 Squadron Flight Sergeant John Homewood

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    mmTony Gunby
    Keymaster

Originally posted on 24 June 2014 by Tony Gunby

I have been contacted by the nephew of Flt Sgt John Homewood (1392321) who flew with 630 Sqn and lost his life with most of the rest of his crew when his aircraft (JB294) was shot down near Berlin on the night of 21/22 January 1944. The aircraft was on a diversionary raid on Berlin to distract from a larger attack on Magdeburg and was the only aircraft lost over Berlin that night.

John’s nephew has managed to get a copy of the Squadron ORB for January 1944 and through the Commonwealth War Graves Commission has records of the crewmembers graves. One crewmember (Sgt Walker (1388772), the Bomb Aimer, survived the shooting down but was captured and ended up in Stalag 357.

The full details of the crew of JB294 that night are:

Flight Sergeant John Walter HOMEWOOD, Pilot 1392321
    Sergeant William George YORKE, Flight Engineer 1802298
    Flight Sergeant Alexander William REEDMAN, Navigator 1319532
    Sergeant P J WALKER, Bomb Aimer 1388772
    Sergeant Alexander Charles STOPP, WOp AG 1387473
    Sergeant John Desmond MORRIS, Mid Upper Gunner 1652943
    Flight Sergeant Morris Slock MARKS, Rear Gunner (RCAF) R/153059

Does anyone remember anything about any of the crew members? Or the raid that night? Does anyone know if Sergeant Walker survived Stalag 357 and where he went afterwards? If you have any information to share, please feel free to post it here or let me know and I will put you in touch with John’s nephew who would be delighted to hear from you.

———-

by k4kittycrew » Thu Jun 26, 2014 8:52 am

Hi Tony, I have been able to assist Tim with the ORB’s for his uncle, who was lost on his 8th operation.

Flt Sgt John Homewood (1392321) was included in the first intake of aircrew, in forming 630 Squadron, out of East Kirkby.
    Cheers,
    John

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.